Your First Class?
What do I need to know before starting a yoga class?
- Concentrate on your breathing in each of the Yoga postures. Breathing is really important when in a pose as it helps the muscles and then mind relax and enables you to move deeper into a pose.
- You do not need to be flexible to start yoga. Yoga will gradually help you to improve both your strength and flexibility which will help improve your posture.
- Try not to compare yourself to others. It is important you pay attention to your own body and only move as far as you are comfortable in a pose.
- Try not to push or force yourself into a stretch or exercise. It is better not to stretch as far but maintain a good posture or alignment of your body rather than to push yourself into a pose which may result in injury.
- Take each pose to a point where you can feel a stretch or your body working but never take a pose to the point where it is painful.
- Come out of a pose and rest when you need to and allow your body to absorb the benefits of your yoga practise.
- You can practise yoga if you are pregnant or have injuries, illnesses or health concerns such as high blood pressure etc. Please be sure to mention any illness or injuries to your teacher at the beginning of class.